Christie's | Fine Art Auction House

CARTIER

Cartier was founded in Paris in 1847 by Louis-François Cartier. It was his three grandsons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, who were responsible for establishing the famous world-wide empire. Louis retained responsibility for the Paris branch,moving it to the rue de la Paix in 1899. Jacques took charge of the London operation in 1906, which had opened in 1902, eventually moving it to the current location on New Bond Street. Pierre established the New York branch in 1909, relocating it in 1917 to the current location at 653 Fifth Avenue. Branches were opened in Moscow and the Persian Gulf in 1910, followed by openings in Cannes and Monte Carlo. Prominent amongst Cartier’s gifted team,were Charles Jacqueau who joined Louis Cartier in 1909 for a lifetime and Jeanne Toussaint who was appointed Director of Fine Jewellery from 1933. In 1964, following the death of Pierre, Cartier Paris, London and New York were sold by the family. In 1972, a group of investors led by Joseph Kanoui bought Cartier Paris whose President became Robert Hocq, originator of the concept “Les Must de Cartier” in collaboration with Alain Dominique Perrin. In 1974, Cartier London was bought back and Cartier New York in 1976. In 1983, the “Art of Cartier Collection”was initiated by Eric Nussbaum.Today, Cartier is part of the Richemont group.