James E. Caldwell worked for a short period of time on Maiden Lane, in New York City, before opening a small watchmaker's shop on Fifth and Chestnut Street in Philadelphia, sometime in the early 1830s. In 1848, the firm took on its current name, J. E. Caldwell and Company. In 1953, under the direction of Austïon Homer, who had become president of Caldwell's the previous year, the company began a branch store expansion, opening their second location in the Hotel Dupont in Wilmington, Delaware. Caldwell & Co. was purchased by Henry Birks & Sons, a Montreal-based jeweller and in August 1992, was acquired by Carlyle & Co., a family owned jewellery concern in Greensboro, North Carolina.
LOT 12 , SALE 2532
MARK OF J. E. CALDWELL & CO., PHILADELPHIA,...
LOT 242 , SALE 2004
MARK OF J.E. CALDWELL, PHILADELPHIA, CIRCA...
LOT 415 , SALE 2136
MARK FOR REED & BARTON, RETAILER'S MARKS FOR...
LOT 432 , SALE 2136
RETAILER'S MARKS FOR J.E. CALDWELL,...
LOT 447 , SALE 2136
20TH CENTURY, THE TRAY MARK OF DOMINICK AND...
LOT 421 , SALE 2136
RETAILER'S MARK FOR J. E. CALDWELL, 20TH...
LOT 422 , SALE 2136
20TH CENTURY, VARIOUS MAKERS,
LOT 411 , SALE 2136
MARKS FOR WATSON COMPANY, THE LARGER WITH...